Friday, February 24, 2012

Blog post: What is a parable? February 24, 2012


Blog post for February 24, 2012

Brad H. Young, author of The Parables: Jewish Tradition and Christian Interpretation explains the meaning and purpose of Jesus’ parables in simple terms:

“The reality of God is revealed in the word-pictures of a parable…using concrete illustrations that reach the heart through the imagination. They challenged the mind…by using simple stories that made common sense out of the complexities of religious faith and human experience…The Gospel parables of Jesus are full of everyday ordinariness along with a God-consciousness”. [(Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers, Inc., 1998), pp. 3-5]

In my dream of living the reality of life in Christ (see blog post for Feb. 19, 2012),  I experienced a powerful God-consciousness and felt empowered to bring His love and redemption to every person who “boarded” my life, represented in the people I found in the beautiful rooms of my  soaring Airbus. It has impacted my daily life, changing my focus from my trying circumstances to my life hidden with God IN CHRIST. It also changed my perspective of people whose lives I touched in ordinary ways during the course of a day.

For example, one day I was praying earnestly for a mother of four who is suffering with 4th stage cancer. I “saw” her resting in the intensive care unit of God’s loving atmosphere aboard Charity as I lifted her into His presence through prayer. As I saw myself soaring above the terrible prognosis, taking her with me through my petitions, we were seated in heavenly places IN CHRIST Jesus (Eph. 2:5-6). The reality of His presence filled my heart with faith to ask for a miracle for this precious friend.

On another occasion, an abused child, filled with rage and fear and unspeakable hurt, flung himself into my arms and I felt the love of God calm him with His healing presence.

These and other ordinary encounters with people have become extraordinary through my enlarged perception of Christ living in me to pour His divine love and healing power into them. As I focus on His purpose for each interaction I have with people, I become more sensitive to His love and desire to bring righteousness, peace, and joy – the kingdom of God – to every heart.

This perspective takes the abstract out of the religious concept of being “in  Christ”…and Christ living in me…and helps me to rest in His divine assignments. As I learned in the dream, it is the Holy Spirit who is “piloting this aircraft”. I can rest in His power and wisdom as I face the tasks of the day. As Jesus said: “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matt. 11:28-30).

The apostle Paul had obviously learned this spiritual reality when he declared: “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me” (Gal. 2:20).

Blessings for the journey – IN CHRIST.

No comments:

Post a Comment