Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blog post: The Perspective of Praise February 26, 2012


Last week, while I was looking for a specific book in my library, my eyes fell on the title: All In God’s Time. When I glanced at the author and saw it was Iverna Tompkins, I immediately pulled the book from the shelf. She has spoken into my life in powerful ways many times through her conference ministry and other books she has authored.

Her subtitle for the book is “What to Do When You’re Waiting for God to Tell You What to Do” (Orlando FL: Creation House, 1996). Oh my! I devoured the book and found my current questions regarding what I should be doing in several areas of my life answered in very practical terms.

I especially related to the chapter called “The Perspective of Praise”. Having just spent over a year and a half lying flat on my back many hours a day, looking up, as I recuperated from a back injury, my cry had become, “Lord, there is a lifting up”. I managed to sit long enough each day, painfully, to complete my professional writing assignments and teach my private piano students, clean house, etc.

But during those months of lying on my back waiting on God, He enlarged my capacity to hear His voice and my heart to desire to do His will alone.  It was during that time that He gave me the dream of the Airbus I “owned” as a parable of my life in Christ, in which I soared into the heavenlies, taking people with me through prayer, praise, and showing them the love of God in many ways (see I dreamed a parable of my life in Christ.  ).

So when Iverna Tompkins described the power of praise in a believer’s life  “as though you’ve taken a ride in God’s 747 and soared up to thirty-five thousand feet”, I felt myself gasp and then grin. She continued: “Everything is so minute from that perspective…Sometimes we need to climb up there and look back down at our troubles to say, ‘God forgive me; how dumb it was to get all worked up over those specks!’” Then she quoted one of the psalms I had read over and over that gave me hope of experiencing a “lifting up”:

“He [God] brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God…Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust” (Ps. 40:2-4).

Since my physical ordeal, which the Holy Spirit used to invade my mind and heart with His presence, I do have a new song and laughter in my mouth as well as a new focus for reaching out to hurting people and helping them soar into the presence of God in Christ Jesus. The idea that praise propels us into the presence of God is a wonderful picture of God’s purpose for us to fill our lives with praise and worship. In the hard times, the fearful, painful experiences of life – there is a lifting up through praise. Thank God for His continual “teaching” of fundamental truths as we face new challenges in our walk with God.

Blessings for the journey – IN CHRIST.

 Carol G Noe


No comments:

Post a Comment